12345»»»

Jane and Vanhelsing get Pwned by XO Expand / Collapse
Author

Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 7/30/2015 12:52:10 PM
http://zendrum.com/forums/index.php?topic=1041.new;topicseen#new

For everyone at Zendrum, I am pleased to announce the immediate release of a totally new Zendrum model for 2008, at a breakthrough price of $999. We have just completed tooling up for production of the Zendrum Articulating Programmer - the ZAP.

(Zendrum ZAP in Walnut)

It is specifically a stationary desktop MIDI controller with the same proven triggers and circuitry used in the mobile ZX and LT models, and designed with a smaller footprint to fit in tight spaces and studio environments. It is the perfect hardware for playing multisampled drum software, which until now has been severely limited by yesterday's mushy-feeling touchpad devices. None of them is as fast, sensitive, or intuitive to play as the ZAP. Nothing else feels like a real instrument that you can depend on for years of hard work. Still the same reliable quality you expect from Zendrum with my personal lifetime warranty.

The ZAP features a unique, very tightly clustered 19-trigger arrangement in five offset rows. This staggered cluster can be played as a single instrument with many different articulations, or used as separate voices that can be expressed either individually or together with a minimum of physical effort. The ZAP is also surprisingly adaptable as a melodic instrument with the Zendrum default note map scales suggesting many new techniques and applications waiting to be explored. Already, VST instrument and sample designers are hard at work creating a new generation of software that maximize the potential of the ZAP. You can even strum it like a guitar!

There are 3 extra 1/4" trigger pedal inputs and a 1/4" sustain pedal input for "drummer-friendly" footwork as well as the Zendrum momentary sustain button on the top that acts as a "choke" for longer sounds and MIDI effects.

This is the smallest Zendrum ever at 12"wide X 10.5"deep X 2"high. Solid heavyweight wood species were chosen for beauty and lasting value as well as for density and trigger isolation under the hardest playing conditions.

-----------------------------------------------

Didn't know if Griffie or you was sitting on this- seeing you've got the article in this issue and the personal attachment thing. But it's blast so I ran it here. Let's kick it.

Post #385
Posted 1/3/2008 6:48:40 AM

Editor In Chief

Editor In Chief

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 12/29/2012 10:08:13 AM

Why does the front page link lead to the Zendrum forum instead of here?

This is fine. It's their blast so post it. The stuff I got was an early release note/call that had nothing to do with the article. This is a whole new product. I saw the video from the AES and I ordered one for myself. Griffin likes it as well as Crystal J. She was like "It's the same thing!" since it sat next to the AKAI 2000XL. I was like play some beats and had them both hooked up to Battery at the same time. She was surprised at how hard and responsive the 'pads' were.- how light you can touch them and get sound out.

I hesitate to go all crazy over it because I use everything.

AMG ONE, Battery 3, Groove Agent 3, Stylus RMX, Microtonic Utonic, MPC 2000XL, Reason Redrum, Korg Electribes, ASR-10 (A keyboard to create drum sequences)

And a zillion other quirky plugs.

Post #386
Posted 1/3/2008 9:34:55 PM

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/5/2008 8:48:32 AM
I like your samplemoog video.

Were you a teacher before this?

Alas, this is a pretty expensive midi controller, isn't it?

It's boutique-gear.

How is it?

Myspace.com/JaneAlias || Reason 4, Cakewalk Rapture, Z3TA || Koassilator

Post #388
Posted 1/4/2008 6:16:31 AM

Editor In Chief

Editor In Chief

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 12/29/2012 10:08:13 AM

Thank you.

No, but I used to host a college radio show and sometimes the delivery comes back. Just kidding.

Jane Alias said: Alas, this is a pretty expensive midi controller, isn't it?

Yes, if that’s all you use it for. It’s meant to be played as a musical instrument. Meaning, you get on stage and jam. How much is a drum set? I find the unit inspirational and that’s the drive that led me to get one. It doesn’t have  a sequencer or any type of’ help me I have no rhythm’ functionality so what you bring forth from within is what you get out of it.

The main point is the feel of the pads. We go in to that in the Zendrum article in issue 02. The level of dynamics and responsiveness is key. The action on the older Korg Electribes, although soft, had a sort of rapid response. The only small issue was the wobbliness of the pads, or tablets as we used to call them.

You can bang on the Zendrum as hard as an MPC and lightly brush it and get sound. I love that. I been experimenting with hooking it up to everything and seeing what I get- the new product Zap seems like another one to watch. With the Pads  even closer, I wonder what that would do for my programming tendencies…

It's boutique-gear.

Yeah, I can see that. I don’t think it’s for everyone. It’s quality and wood so that will turn off this new generation of plastic-lovers (were you around for wooden end caps?!). Lack of included sounds will make some feel shorted (BFD has been the recommended module because of the immense range of articulations captured in that library). The price is angled at Musical Instrument. Something I am going to learn to play, keep and use.

If you must, connect it to your sequencer and use the note correction. Hell, most sequencers can quantize on the way in so….

I think picking up on non-traditional tools is the way to go. I find new techniques and experimentation lead to a Producer’s Edge, but sometimes a unique bit of kit or an unusual weapon is a great answer.

Think different, be different, do different. KnowwhatImean?

Post #390
Posted 1/4/2008 5:54:33 PM

Heavy Cat Status

Heavy Cat Status

Last Login: 6/20/2017 1:07:35 AM
Yes. I like the look and I would mess with the Lap top wedge shaped version. I've seen the '80s' videos of dudes jamming on stage and that gives me the Keytar impression- that's why I wasn't feeling the whole line. But once you lay it down on a surface it's a whole nother deal.

I thought they sent you one for review. Didn't know that was yours. Which is weird becasue the drums you enter manually tend to have that MPC note repeat thing going- like you're tying to say "I did this on an MPC y'all!"

And your commercial tracks sound like heavy chopping is going on to iced-out loops.

"sometimes a unique bit of kit or an unusual weapon is a great answer"

I just picked up a Roland RS 505. This is a tight unit. I feel it's one of those 'reach for' pieces.

Vintage Synth Explorer:

The RS-505 Paraphonic Strings replaced the classic RS-202 and combined strings, a basic polysynth section and a bass section. The keyboard was shortened to 49 keys and is split down the middle to assign different sounds to the left and right sides of the keyboard.

The Synth section has four waveforms (selected by the large white buttons) and its own VCF with cutoff and resonance sliders, VCA ADSR sliders and LFO features. The Bass section has three preset bass sound types to choose via the big red buttons. It has its own VCA Attack and Release sliders and Vibrato controls. The String section has two String preset sounds - selectable via the big green buttons - and other features borrowed from the RS-202.

Sounds from the three tone sections can be blended for interesting results and the built-in Ensemble chorusing effect really warms, thickens and lushes up the sounds! The Paraphonic 505 also features an external audio input (mono) so you could run another synth through the quadruple-BBD Ensemble chorus. A new little performance control section to the left of the keyboard provides convenient volume, tune, glide and pitch bender controls. Similar to the ARP Omni, the Paraphonic 505 is considered one of Roland's finest string synths of its era.

Post #391
Posted 1/4/2008 6:08:43 PM

Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator

LOOKS SICK@!@@@@

Rusty-*** organ from the Beatles garage.

How does it sound?

Looks like the first Juno ever.

The station wagon syth.

MAAAd Wooden panels like I think they would open up like car doors and reveal more controls. I bet it's real heavy, but still floats. Are there speakers 'round back?

Ill stereo buttons and sliders.

Is there a VST version...I could that and the big black part on top would list the patches.

Post #392
Posted 1/5/2008 4:00:30 AM

Heavy Cat Status

Heavy Cat Status

Last Login: 6/20/2017 1:07:35 AM
You done snappin on my new joint?

Um...what's your keyboard of choice again?

oh yes, the Korg MicroKontrol. The midi controller you thought had sounds in it.

How does it sound?

Luverlee.

It's an odd piece- does strings and you can mix in Bass, Tuba and Cello- that's it.

A few variations on those categories.

Mostly I leave them all in and tweak out something thick.

I'm going to dive in the string area and see what I get.

Post #394
Posted 1/5/2008 4:08:45 PM

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Post #397
Posted 1/6/2008 3:02:09 PM

Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator

Post #399
Posted 1/7/2008 6:48:00 AM

Forum Member

More like....

But you....

Post #400
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 5:05pm